WorkshopSeptember 1, 2007 By: American Salon Staff American Salon
1. HEMP HELPER Ideal for blow-outs, Alterna Hemp Straightening Balm is a weightless lotion that straightens both wavy and extremely curly hair with a light hold. 4alterna.com
2. HAIR ARMOR Barex Italiana Re-define Crème leave-in moisturizer creates a humidity-proof shield to ward off frizz and maintain sleek styles or define natural curls. oloffbeauty.com
3. SHINING STAR Containing sambucus extract, hydrolyzed vegetable protein, cucumber extract, vitamin E and natural UV blockers, Empower Rest Straightening Serum delivers smooth, shiny locks. beautyempowers.com
4. SMOOTH SAILING MOP C-System C-Straight Smoothing Shine Lotion fights frizz with anti-humectant properties, which define and maintain straight styles, while also offering thermal protection. mopproducts.com
5. ON COARSE Power Straight straightening balm, part of Sexy Hair's revamped Straight Sexy Hair collection, smoothes thick, coarse hair and protects tresses from heat styling. sexyhair.com
KIM VO ON THE GO
Vo's tips for how you can change a client's look without compromising her identity
Perhaps the reinvention craze started with ABC's Extreme Makeover, a show that's dramatically changed my life ever since I got the chance to work my magic on it as a colorist. But no matter the source, the transformation trend is causing women everywhere to reassess their appearance.
When a client sits down in your chair and requests a completely new persona, it's important to help her take an honest look at the difference between who she is and who she wants to become. Let's face it, if there's no correlation between the original woman and the one she hopes to become, her makeover won't cut it. Any alterations must be compatible with the forces of nature that she cannot change—skin tone, face shape and age.