NotebookOctober 1, 2007 By: American Salon Staff American Salon
When it's that time of the month and every other part of your body is feeling less than fab, your tongue can relax in a luxurious bath of unique flavors thanks to Pretty Mean Snacks (PMS). There are four flavors: Hot Mama Madness (dark chocolate with tangy ginger and mild wasabi), Deep Decadent Diva (fragrant rosemary with roasted pineapple in dark chocolate), Pure Passion Princess (pumpkin and peanut butter blended with cinnamon in milk chocolate) and Sweet Sassy Sister (milk chocolate with sweet basil and mango). Visit the Web site to order or to find out about women's issues, health-related topics and more. prettymeansnacks.com —M.D.
BY THE NUMBERS
The first baby boomers—there are 78 million in the U.S.— turned 60 last year. This should be of interest to you. Why? Well, 77 percent of the country's assets are controlled by 50-plussers, who also happen to spend $1.7 million on goods and services. Want to get rich? Start marketing services to them that can help them look younger.
Celebrated photographer Patrick McMullan has come out with a new book, and this one features more than 1,000 photographs from A-list events attended by some of Hollywood's biggest names, including Uma Thurman, Jennifer Aniston, Penelope Cruz, Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow and Nicole Kidman. Titled Glamour Girls (Abrams, 2007), it's like US Weekly all grown up. hnabooks.com —C.W.
Ten things celebrity stylist Marco Maranghello, top hairstylist at the John Barrett salon at Bergdorf Goodman in New York City, can't live without:
1. DIESEL ZANTHAN LOW RISE BOOTCUT JEANS The cut is stylish but not too trendy.
2. B-HEAL JOHN BARRETT SMOOTHING CREAM It makes my naturally curly hair smooth and silky.
3. HOT TOOLS GOLD 2-INCH CURLING IRON I use it on the runways as a flat iron and curling iron. It's multifunctional; if you really know how to use it, you can style any way you like.
4. MY ASSISTANT, SUE I wouldn't be able to do as much as I do without her. She is my right hand, my friend, my little sister, my everything.
5. TRISH MCEVOY BLUEBERRY VANILLA CANDLE I burn it in the bathroom, bedroom and living room—all over my crib.
6. TOWNHOUSE SPA It's where I go in New York City to relax, unwind and recharge my batteries. It's a comfortable space that feels like home.