Beauty LabDecember 1, 2009 By: American Salon Staff American Salon
A range of products that caught our eye this month
Changes in temperature can cause skin to become dry and flaky, but we found 10 fabulous products that improve hydration and skin tone.
Recommend products this winter that hydrate and lock in moisture to relieve dry skin.
1. MURAD ACTIVE RADIANCE SERUM is designed to stimulate the skin's natural defense system and help cells resist UV-induced damage associated with an active, outdoor lifestyle. The first product on the market to introduce Murad's latest vitamin C technology, Active Radiance Serum delivers the highest levels of stability in a vitamin C complex, ensuring that the last drop is as efficacious as the first and helping the user achieve immediate radiance, enhanced collagen synthesis and the neutralizing of free radicals. Clinically proven to firm skin up to 64 percent in 15 minutes and to brighten and renew the skin in one week, Active Radiance Serum actually improves cell regeneration. murad.com
2. LIERAC CRÈME MÉSOLIFT ANTI-AGING RADIANCE was inspired by a dermatology technique called facial mesotherapy—micro-injections of a revitalizing cocktail of vitamins, minerals and hyaluronic acid that accelerates cellular metabolism to impart radiance, reduce the visible signs of aging and improve skin quality. Crème Mésolift Anti-Aging Radiance contains highly concentrated and nourishing active ingredients like vitamins A, C, E, B5 and B6; minerals including iron, calcium, magnesium, copper, zinc and manganese; and hyaluronic acid. An added bonus: The rich and creamy formula is pleasant to use. lierac-usa.com
3. AVEDA BOTANICAL KINETICS HYDRATING LOTION delivers a surge of essential hydration to the skin's surface without greasiness. The concentrated yet gentle formula also helps to protect against the environmental factors that cause dryness and irritation so skin feels smooth and velvety. Jojoba oil mimics the skin's natural oil, making it an extraordinarily effective moisturizer. Rice, palm and coconut oils provide moisturizers and emollients that firm and condition the skin, improving its suppleness and resiliency. Meanwhile, chamomile and lavender soothe skin for a soft, supple texture. aveda.com
4. REPÊCHAGE HYDRA DEW MOISTURIZING DAY CREAM helps restore skin's natural hydro-lipid layer by binding moisture between the cells, ensuring lasting comfort and deep hydration. Think of it as a potent cocktail of liquid refreshment for the skin. A complex of water lily and the amino acid palmitoyl proline helps soothe skin, while mango butter, almond, sesame and sunflower contain high levels of vitamins E, B1 and B2, plus niacin, calcium and iron—nutrients necessary for healthy skin. Meanwhile, codium tomenentosum seaweed boosts moisture on contact. Research has shown that this seaweed actually increases the moisture content of the external layer of the skin by 50 percent and of the whole epidermis by 20 percent. repechage.com
5. BABOR SKINOVAGE NANOCELL AGE PROTECTING CREAM is a 24-hour face cream that significantly prolongs the life of skin stem cells, which are the key to looking young. Thanks to breakthrough biotechnology, highly concentrated herbal stem cells from the Uttwiler spätlauber, a rare variety of Swiss apple, rejuvenate the skin's complexion in a previously unimaginable way. Another plus: Skinovage Nanocell has a smoothing effect on the skin's surface. babor.com
6. SONYA DAKAR ORGANIC OMEGA BOOSTER FOR DRY, SENSITIVE SKIN is 100 percent organic and vegan. All it takes are a couple of drops massaged into the face and neck to strengthen, calm and balance dry, sensitive skin. Omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids nourish from the inside out to help replace lost moisture by duplicating the skin's natural oil balance. Key ingredients include organic, cosmeceutical-grade flaxseed oil, chamomile, lavender, carrot, honey, geranium, rosewood, neroli oil and apple extract to hydrate and protect sensitive skin from irritation. Clients with acne or other skin conditions like rosacea or eczema will also benefit from using the product regularly. sonyadakar.com
7. ALCHIMIE FOREVER KANTIC MASK is a luscious, creamy moisture mask packed with natural botanicals that calm, protect and alleviate redness. Oats, known for their softening properties, are combined with wild pansies to speed the recovery of distressed skin and reduce irritation. Antioxidants from grape extracts protect the skin from environmental stress, while blueberries help to rejuvenate and quell redness. Created at Forever Laser Institut in Switzerland by Dr. Luigi Polla, a dermatologist, and Dr. Barbara Polla, a leader in biomedical research on antioxidants and stress proteins, Alchimie Forever utilizes nature's most powerful extracts to preserve skin's youthfulness. The company is a member of SwissCos, a nonprofit organization that regulates the use of the "made in Switzerland" label in the realm of cosmetics and skincare. Membership is conditional upon proof of Swiss manufacture. alchimie-forever.com
8. DOCTOR D. SCHWAB C.S. CITRUSOME is a unique nighttime serum that protects cells against long-term oxidative stress-related damage. The secret? A concentration of highly active stabilized vitamin C ester in unique alphasomes that creates a powerful antioxidant effect. Parent company CA Botana is a natural skincare company whose products were developed by drawing information from Ayurvedic medicine; Chinese, ancient Egyptian and American Indian herbology; and aromatherapy, along with the expertise of skilled herbalists and physiotherapists. The company's philosophy—continuous research in harmony with nature—is reflected in every formula that they develop. doctorschwabca.com
9. LUXTURAL SOPHISTICATED VEIL FACIAL ANTI-AGING DEEP MOISTURIZING SERUM is different from other products on the market in that it uses pure Pacific rain water collected in a fresh, clean location before it ever reaches the ground, so it's free of toxins and other contaminants. The formulation combines carefully selected ingredients and rare herbal extracts with microencapsulated anti-aging components, including seaweed and peptides. Evening primrose and rose hip also provide a shot of skin-plumping moisture to the skin. What's more, the product is free of parabens and mineral oil. The innovative scent? A special blend of essential oils. Clinical studies have shown that skin retained 81 percent of hydration within six hours after application. Rumor has it that it's Angelina Jolie's miracle moisturizer, but mere mortals love it, too. luxtural.com
10. CREME DE LA MER MOISTURIZING CREAM was conceived under extraordinary circumstances. Years ago, aerospace physicist Dr. Max Huber suffered severe chemical burns when a routine experiment exploded in his face. Twelve years and 6,000 experiments later, he perfected the cream that would help give skin a dramatically smoother appearance. Creme de la Mer defies the laws of nature. There is nothing miraculous about its ingredients—sea kelp, calcium, magnesium, potassium, iron, lecithin, and vitamins C, E and B12, plus oils of citrus, eucalyptus, wheat germ, alfalfa and sunflower. For Huber, it wasn't the ingredients themselves but the way they were distilled that made all the difference. The slow-biofermentation process takes three to four months to complete, but the ingredients are transformed into a whole far greater than the sum of its parts. In a short time, skin becomes noticeably softer and firmer. Aging lines and pores are less visible. Even the driest of complexions are healed and sensitivities soothed. What's not to like? cremedelamer.com —MARIANNE DOUGHERTY